Sunday 24 August 2014

Starting the University Process

So the first thing you need to do is make the decision that you actually want to go to university. I must stress that this should be your decision not your parents, friends or teachers but your decision. If you don't want to go then that is ok as there are plenty of other options for you. I know it is easy to get swept a long with the whole university process as the majority of people in your year will be going but if you don't want to go then that is fine.

Next you need to decide what course you want to do. For some people this is really easy as they have always known what they wanted to do, for others it isn't always as easy. I never actually wanted to go to university but my school encouraged everyone to start looking at courses just in case you change your mind as it is easier to pick up the process if you have already started looking at courses. I happened to stumble across Retail Management courses and I knew instantly that this was something I wanted to do. I'd actually been looking at doing retail apprenticeships so this course fit in perfectly with what I wanted to do.  

Once you have found a course you want to do start searching UCAS for universities that offer you're course. For some people they will have a list of criteria that they want from a university such as distance from home, whether it's in a big city or not. For me I found that not that many places offered the course I wanted to do so the distance from home didn't bother me too much. My firm choice university is 164 miles away from home and my insurance is 197 miles away so for me distance isn't a worry although for some people it might be. 

The best time to start looking is after you've finished your AS exams. Although you may want a break it is best to start looking early as you can start booking open days. Also I think it's good if you've got a relatively good idea of where you want to apply to when you go back to school in September. 

Although I didn't do this, during the summer holidays you could start thinking about what you are going to include in your personal statement as if you have a few ideas before you start writing it will make it a lot easier to write. 

I hope you are enjoying this series. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them? Please bear in mind that I haven't actually started uni yet and I am just talking about the process at the moment. I plan to carry on with these posts once I start uni later this year. 

Prettylittlefashionista xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis