Thursday 29 August 2013

How To Survive During Your AS Year

Last Thursday was GCSE results day for many people in the UK. I hope all of you got the grades that you wanted and are very pleased with yourselves. I wanted to share with you my experience of my first year in sixth form as I'm sure many of you will be going to sixth form in December. For those of who don't know how the system works I will briefly explain it. At the age of 16 everyone in the UK takes exams in the core subjects (English, Maths and Science) and they choose the other subjects they want to take. I took history, geography and French. Different schools will offer different subjects and have different criteria eg. at my school we had to take a language and I know at other schools they had to take technology subject (cooking, textiles, resistant materials etc) After your GCSEs you have a choice of what you do after you can go to sixth form to do A levels, go to college where you can do A levels or a more vocational course, do an apprenticeship or go out and get a job. There may be other options but these are the ones that I am aware of. 

I chose to go to sixth form as this was the best option for me. This meant that I stayed at the same school but some people do change schools at this time. I'll talk briefly about settling in to a new school and making friends as I haven't experienced this I am no expert on it. I would say be yourself, get involved in activities that the school runs and remember there are other people in the same boat as you. 

Onto the lessons, I did English Literature, Geography, Business Studies and Psychology. I enjoyed most of them apart from English as I found it a lot harder than GCSE and I didn't particularly enjoy the material that we covered. Obviously different schools do different things so don't be worried this is just my experience yours will be completely different. I found subjects that I hadn't done at GCSE a lot easier as you started working at A level level straight away so there wasn't a big jump which I found in English and  Geography. I'm sure you've already been told this but A levels is a big jump from GCSE you need to do a lot more work. 

One of my top tips is to stay on top of homework you get a lot more at A level and a shorter time to do it in. At my school we were given study time so I did my homework then but if your school doesn't offer this make sure you try and do your homework on the day that it was set as it quickly builds up. Revision is another key thing you need to make sure you are revising as exams quickly creep up on you. Try and keep your notes up to date and copy up anything you miss. 

My last tip is enjoy your time at sixth form as it only happens once. Try and take all the opportunities that your school offers you as you'll regret it otherwise. I wish I'd done more of the things my school offered me. Although I did get to go on some great trips, I was lucky enough to go to Iceland  and I got to see some great plays as well. 

I hope you enjoy your year whatever you are doing and if you have any questions don't be afraid to contact me. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about GCSEs, choosing your options or A levels any question you have I'll try to answer it as best as I can. 

Prettylittlefashionista xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis